Does the Sports & Business industry seem like a good fit for you? If that question sparks an interest, please join us at the Sports & Business Professional Panel! The event will be held on October 12th and be located in the Oak Room (IMU), from 5 to 6 pm. Moreover, several big league employers, from the AZ Diamondbacks and Philadelphia 76ers to the Indiana Sports Corp and Sports 1 Marketing will be there to answer any of your questions, concerns, or doubts! Following the Professional Panel, feel free to join us down the hall in the Georgian Room (IMU) from 6 to 8 pm for the Sports & Business Career Focus Fair! All employers in attendance are thrilled to meet with aspirants seeking volunteering, internship and full-time entry-level opportunities in the Sports & Business field.
The companies and representatives that will be attending the Professional Panel Highlight consist of the following:
- Emmis Communications
- Kevin Bowen, Reporter/Multi Content Producer
- Indiana Sports Corp
- Mikela Calabrese, Events Manager, Chris Panyard, Director
- Sports 1 Marketing
- Scott Carter, Executive Vice President
- W Partners
- Wally Hayward, CEO
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Evan Ostrosky, Inside SalesManager
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Josh Rawitch, Content & Communication Sr. Vice President
I had the pleasure to speak with Mikela Calabrese and Chris Panyard of Indiana Sports Corp to get an inside look at what will be discussed at the highlight panel…
What can students expect from attending the panel?
– “They can look forward to hearing from a group of diverse professionals who have been in their shoes and know what it takes to find a good job in the sports industry. They’ll have an opportunity to ask us questions about our current jobs, career paths, and advice from current employers related to our industry!” – Chris Panyard and Mikela Calabrese
What are your roles as a panel member?
– “I think our role is to give students a glimpse of what the job search process and life in the workplace are like. Our role is NOT to sugarcoat the job search process, but to tell them what to expect and share some best practices and tips for landing that entry-level job. We may offer suggestions that students are not thinking about or share information that triggers an idea for students to consider when applying for employment and internships.” – Chris Panyard
– “As a panel member, our role is to discuss our distinct paths in our chosen career field and provide insights into our professional areas of interest and experience. The goal would be for attending students to gain knowledge on each of the panelist’s specific roles and the path to this point in our careers.” – Mikela Calabrese
Please share some of your experience in the sport & business field
– “I have had the pleasure of working on some of the country’s largest sporting events including the 2014 & 2016 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournaments, USA Diving Olympic Trials, 2015 Men’s Final Four, 2016 Women’s Final Four, 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 (2016) and the Big Ten Football Championship Game (2013-2017).” – Chris Panyard
– “I began my experience in the sport & business field while I was at IU, where I held internships at a Triple-A baseball team, a world-class Velodrome and participated in a project with the Indiana Pacers. Following graduation from IU, I was hired at USA Diving as a National Events Manager where I helped to host over 30 National Championships and two Olympic Team Trials. In my time at USA Diving, I also assisted with sponsorship fulfillment, integrated marketing, and social media – learning the “business” side of the sports industry and how that aspect works hand in hand with event production and operations. In my current role at Indiana Sports Corp, I work in our Events Department focusing on supporting the planning and implementation of Indiana Sports Corp events, including NCAA Championships and additional ancillary events. “ – Mikela Calabrese
As you can see, the opportunities and experiences the panelists have to share with you are extremely varied! Whether you are completely sure this industry is for you or if this may not be what you’re looking for, these speakers are here to provide insights on how to tackle your future plans.
Georgina, or Gina, is finally a senior at IU, majoring in HDFS with a minor in Criminal Justice. Hobbies include dance, cooking, and spending time with loved ones including her cats Shadow and Mocha. Her future career plan is to attend law school to become a divorce and child custody attorney. Advocate for equality, peace, and self-love, who writes all her blogs with a cup of coffee in her midst!