The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) identifies Digital Technology as one of eight requisite competencies for college graduates entering the workforce. Apply your basic knowledge and improve your proficiency of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) through relevant work experience.
If you love maps and data IU Libraries has a job for you! They are hiring a Spatial Data and GIS Assistant! This is a 10 hr per week student position in the Wells Library, paying $10.15 per hour. The ideal candidate is someone with GIS experience who is excited about data sources, libraries, and teaching non-spatial folks about maps and spatial data. Details are listed below. To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Theresa Quill, email@example.com
Position Number: 359
Position Title: Spatial Data and GIS Assistant
Department Name: Libraries Scholarly Communication
Supervisor’s Name: Theresa Quill
Supervisor’s Title: Map and Spatial Data Librarian
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to Theresa Quill, firstname.lastname@example.org
10 hours per week. Open to students only
A. Primary Role
Assist the Map and Spatial Data Librarian to provide reference and research services related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and spatial data. Attend research consultations, develop online resources and instructional materials, and assist with Cartoshop mapping workshops.
B. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
50% Manage GIS and spatial data online resources, including web pages and library guides. Maintain updated resource lists for spatial data, develop online instructional materials related to Geographic Information Systems and spatial data. Assist in creating web and print displays related to GIS and spatial data.
40% Attend research consultations related to digital maps, GIS, and spatial data. Assist patrons with finding, accessing, and cleaning spatial data. Develop web-based map applications with patrons as needed.
10% Assist the Maps and Spatial Data Librarian during Cartoshop mapping workshops and GIS Day. Provide additional technical support for Cartoshop workshop participants, assist with preparing workshop materials and planning future workshop topics.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Knowledge of common spatial data sources and formats
- The ability to work independently while processing complex, detailed work with a high level of productivity and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to interact tactfully and courteously with faculty, staff, students and other library users; the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with supervisors and peers; and the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated dependability and flexibility.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Web mapping platforms such as Mapbox GL JS, ESRI StoryMaps, ArcGIS Online, etc.
- Experience providing reference services in an academic library
- Knowledge of web content managers: Drupal, WCMS, and libguides