AHEC Scholars – A Community Health Care Fellowship
Location: United States
Program Dates: October 2022 – May 2024
Deadline to apply:
September 18, 2022
What is AHEC Scholars?
The Indiana Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Network’s Scholars program will prepare students to more effectively enter the health professions workforce. AHEC Scholars is designed specifically for applicants who have a strong interest in providing care to those living in rural and medically underserved communities across Indiana in professions such as: physicians, nurses, physician assistants, public health practitioners, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, dentists, and other allied health occupations.
AHEC Scholars offers online learning units and community-based experiences designed to give health professions students a deeper understanding of rural and urban healthcare, caring for underserved populations, and the importance of practice transformation in a clinical care setting. Scholars will focus on five core issues – behavioral health integration, cultural competency, interprofessional education, practice transformation, and social determinants of health.
What is the commitment and expectations?
Scholars are expected to participate in 40 hours of online learning units, along with 40 hours of team-based community experiences per year. Timing of the team-based community experiences will be dependent upon the selected cohorts availability.
Applicants must have their own transportation and housing in the region(s) where they apply (for the community experiences). Housing is NOT provided. Applicants should only indicate the AHEC region(s) that would be within driving distance given his/her housing situation.
Is there a stipend?
The Scholars program pays a stipend of $1500 to help support the two-year experience ($750/year).
- Must be in the final two years of an accredited health professions program. (Two-year degree programs are eligible to apply.) Graduation year must be in 2024.
- Must have reliable transportation – this program includes multiple site visits across the selected AHEC region(s).
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check and drug screening.
- Must be available to participate for two years.
- Must be available to participate in 40 hours of online learning units and 40 hours of team-based community experiences per year (for two years).
- Must be willing to complete evaluations related to program activities.
- Must be able to provide the necessary paperwork (such as W-9 and direct deposit form) to receive the stipend.
- Must be willing to respond to AHEC upon completion of AHEC Scholars Program on an annual basis for updates on practice location and activities.
Questions? Contact: email@example.com or call (317) 278-0310
Apply Here: https://indianaahec.tfaforms.net/4630398
|Start Date:||Oct 1, 2022|
|End Date:||May 31, 2024|
|Apply By:||Sep 18, 2022|