Making a Social Impact: The Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship
Location: Bloomington, IN
“This program is designed to benefit not only the students but also the university,” said longtime philanthropist Jane Jorgensen. “It allows the institution to build and keep a pool of diverse talent – making IU a better university.” For students, the internship program provides a unique opportunity for personal and professional development and enhances their skill sets in anti-racist work. As part of the program, students pair with mentors and gain valuable training experiences with leaders in multiple offices across the university. “The program makes a conscious effort to look for students with a wide range of talents and skills and, more importantly, students underrepresented in leadership roles across the institution,” explains Joyce Rogers, interim executive vice president for development for the Indiana University Foundation. “The idea is to ultimately provide IU with a pool of competitive, diverse leaders for future employment and individuals who are knowledgeable about IU’s diversity and equity work.” Additional components of the Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship include:
- Students register for a one-credit-hour course each semester to discuss experiences and meet with guest speakers on a bi-monthly schedule.
- Student leaders create, plan, and lead “Reflective Roundtable Dialogues” on current relevant issues, open to the entire campus community.
- Student leaders join Leadership Lectures and Socials, events that connect individuals to faculty, staff, pre-major clubs, alumni, and professionals working in students’ fields of interest.
- Student interns participate in one-day workshops to coincide with the Indiana University Executive Leadership Advantage Program and other professional development opportunities. Also, interns engage with a diverse group of university employees and invited community guests.
- To complete an application for the Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship, visit diversity.iu.edu and select career resources.
Making a Social Impact: The Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — For decades, Indiana University has been at the forefront of creating learning environments that benefit people from all backgrounds. The institution leads the way on anti-racist work, putting words into action by building and funding initiatives that support social justice, explore issues of racial equity, and raise awareness about equality for all. One of these efforts is augmented by a newly endowed gift made by Jane and Jay Jorgensen housed within the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs (OVPDEMA). The Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship empowers motivated and ambitious students to develop as extraordinary leaders who will transform society and be recruited as top candidates to further diversify university professional staff. “IU has a deep commitment to anti-racism. This internship program represents a key part of its work to build diverse and inclusive campus cultures and places where every individual is encouraged and embraced to do his or her best,” says Lemuel Watson, associate vice president for diversity, equity, and multicultural affairs. Students must be enrolled full time in an advanced undergraduate or graduate degree program at Indiana University to qualify for the internship. Full-time status equates to at least 12 credit hours for undergraduate students and at least eight credit hours for graduate and professional students. “Now more than ever, there is a renewed sense of urgency to support efforts that help students—especially those who are underrepresented in higher education,” states Jorgensen. “Instilling students with the skills and abilities to be compassionate and constructive leaders will go a long way in addressing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion and to building healthy, productive communities for all.” To complete an application for the Jane Jorgensen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internship, visit diversity.iu.edu and select career resources.
|Start Date:||May 5, 2021|
|End Date:||Aug 1, 2021|