Second Day-Programs for Social Impact Careers
Location: United States
The housing crisis. Systemic racism. The climate crisis. The challenges facing our society are not only becoming more complex, but more urgent. And it won’t be solved in just a few years. It’s going to take the entire careers of a whole generation to take on these challenges.
At Second Day, we are committed to ensuring that we are building a larger, stronger, and more diverse social impact workforce by providing college seniors with professional development opportunities, mentorship, and career planning. We currently offer TWO programs that are fully remote and open to any college senior at a US college or university.
Second Day Impact Fellowship (Application deadline Dec 3rd)
This program is unlike any other program out there. We provide fellows with a significant amount of training and exposure to the social sector. Here’s how we do it:
- All our fellows will receive a paid work experience at a nonprofit or social enterprise over their spring semester.
- Our weekly sessions cover professional development training, mentorship, job-search best practices, and industry exploration.
- The goal of the program is to provide you insight into what a social impact career can look like, arm you with the tools you need to step into this industry, and equip you with the network and skills to build a long-lasting career tackling our society’s toughest challenges!
Community Scholars Program (Deadline Jan 7th)
This crash-course-meets-community program is a great fit for someone who is looking to access our proprietary curriculum, but may not have 10-20 hours a week to give to an internship. Here’s how it works:
- If selected, each person will be assigned to a small group of 5-8 people that are interested in similar topics as you (e.g., health equity or civic engagement). That group meets weekly as a form of learning, accountability, and support. Groups typically meet for ~an hour and then do a reading or assignment for ~an hour at some point before the next week. Assignments include researching organizations, reaching out to people working in the field for advice, reading articles, or making job application progress.
- Every month or two, we’ll have a program-wide session to talk through critical concepts, frameworks, and tactical tips for building a social impact career.
Want to learn more?
Check out our application for one or both of our programs here! Applications for the Impact Fellowship are due December 3rd and for the Community Scholars Program on January 7th. If you have questions about Second Day, you can also book time with our co-founder Mariam to learn more.
We have two upcoming webinars on November 30th (6 pm est) and December 2nd (8 pm EST). You can RSVP here to receive the link.
If you have a few specific questions, you are welcome to schedule a 15 minute coffee chat here or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org