The mission of the Center for Clinical Investigation (CCI) is to strengthen the culture for clinical research at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, by building services helpful to clinical investigators and facilitating the success of individual investigators.
Working very independently and under very general supervision from a manager, provides support to clinical research studies. May be responsible for the following activities: making independent judgment of study related visits on the outpatient floors, advising study teams of the implementation of the research visits, scheduling potential participants for clinical trials, maintaining and updating data generated by the study, and overseeing the work of more entry level staff.
Under supervision of the CCI Outpatient Manager, the Research Program Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the scheduling, tracking, and collection of data for research subjects in the CCI outpatient units, maintaining unit readiness for visits, optimizing CCI resources in support of visits, and assisting as needed on special CCI projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet outpatient research subjects at CCI location, check subjects in and out, notify investigators/study that subjects have arrived, and facilitate visit to ensure quality and a positive experience.
- Collect subject information at the time of check in and update subject record.
- Prepare patients for their visit, examination, procedure, and/or treatment in accordance with established procedures. As instructed, document the reason for the visit based on information received from the patient. Use recognized and accurate medical terminology and abbreviations in all documentation.
- Understand, respect and demonstrate patient confidentiality in all endeavors. Understand the legal ramifications of violating any component of patient confidentiality. Understand and demonstrate the protocol and related procedures for the release of patient information.
- Maintain outpatient rooms and ensure that necessary supplies/linens are available for all research studies.
- Assist in monitoring relevant expiration dates and established maintenance schedules.
- Assist in maintaining medical supply inventories, including monitoring relevant expiration dates.
- Order all administrative and processing supplies for the outpatient units. Track all supplies and ensure stocking is adequate and consistent.
- Perform receptionist, clerical and other functions as needed to support the efficient operation of the practice, unless such duties are specifically prohibited or by any relevant statue or regulation or unless such duties require other certification or training which has not been achieved.
- All other projects and assists with other administrative and research operational duties on an as needed basis, in a manner consistent with BWH etiquette.
- In conjunction with the CCI Administrators, continuously assess and improve the efficiency of systems and processes.
- Maintain a current knowledge of Federal (HIPPA, GCP, FDA, etc) State, and Hospital Laws, Regulations, and guidelines governing human subject research: attends educational and professional seminars.
- Assure Compliance with BWH, JCAHO, NCRR, OSHA, DPH, and state and federal regulations.
- Assist in the compilation and preparation of data as requested from internal and external constituents.
- Verify check in and out times.
- Support census activities.
- As assigned, assist in the creation of monthly reports of usage at the CCI’s Inpatient and Outpatients Units.
- Work with CCI groups to complete all reporting requirements related to the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- Backup to receive outpatient research scheduling requests via e-mail and schedule subjects appropriately, based on the availability of rooms at the CCI Research Outpatient Centers
- Assist inpatient scheduling activities including monitoring requests via e-mail; tracking progress and assisting CCI Nurse Manager or inpatient unit coordinator to facilitate the process.
- Provide scheduling support to the Tower 9AB Research Unit Coordinator, as needed.
- Communicate with study teams and CCI administration regarding scheduling discrepancies and issues.
- Respond to all visit requests within 24 hours
- Undertake special projects assigned.
- B.A or B.S required. Health Care Administration background strongly preferred
- Relevant experience in academic health center is preferred
- Knowledge of and experience with research related activities preferred.
Skills/ Abilities/ Competencies Required:
- Outstanding organizational skills are necessary to manage many competing timetables and responsibilities.
- Ability to delegate and effectively supervise and plan for the timely and successful completion of short-and long-term objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate effectively with a large and diverse constituency, including senior hospital leaders, division faculty and support staff, representatives of other BWH offices, collaborating institution officials, granting agencies (NIH, industry and foundations) representatives, and vendors.
- Requires the ability to work independently and to accept responsibility for complex and sensitive decision-making as it relates to the overall conduct of the program.
- Interpersonal relationship skills needed to motivate others and work with many hospital –wide department heads, administrators, and physicians in a positive and collegial fashion.