The CDC Foundation helps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) save and improve lives by unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC, philanthropies, corporations, organizations and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world. The CDC Foundation is the sole entity authorized by Congress to mobilize philanthropic partners and private-sector resources to support CDC's critical health protection mission. Since 1995, the CDC Foundation has launched nearly 1,000 programs and raised over $700 million. The CDC Foundation manages over 250 CDC-led programs in the United States and in more than 100 countries.
The CDC Foundation seeks candidates for a part time entomologist or biologist position to assist in the culture of medically important mosquitoes as well as the performance of laboratory procedures including the chemical treatment of mosquitoes of various life stages, handling of cryogenic liquids, data collection, and general laboratory maintenance. This laboratory position works 20 hours a week, some of which may consist of part-time weekend and holiday work. The entomologist or biologist will be hired by the CDC Foundation and assigned to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Red River Valley Agricultural Research Center on the campus of North Dakota State University in Fargo, North Dakota.
A high premium is placed on persons who are responsible, communicate clearly, are meticulous and can manage their time and effort to ensure high quality materials are produced. The entomologist or biologist will be required to plan their work, make judgments regarding priorities and to be largely self-directed. This part time position is privately funded by donors through the CDCF. The position is one year term-limited with the possibility to extend past the initial term.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation's lead agency charged with protecting the public's health. The CDC Foundation offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package. This is a CDC Foundation position that will work directly with CDC and USDA and placed at a USDA location in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Assist with development of techniques for cold storage and cryopreservation of mosquitoes
- Prepare egg or larval stages for penetration by cryoprotectants
- Perform analysis of cryoprotectant toxicity
- Use ancillary methods for retrieval form cryopreservation and insect rearing
- Plan and manage time and effort to ensure high quality materials are produced
- Make efficient judgments regarding priorities and be largely self-directed
- B.S. degree in entomology, biology, developmental biology, or a related science field (or minimum two years equivalent experience).
- Candidates with experience with mosquito husbandry or laboratory experience in cryobiology or stress physiology are preferred.
- Proven ability to compile and analyze lab data
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills
- Proficient use of different computer programs (Microsoft office and lab analysis software)
- Highly capable of tracking, summarizing and reporting lab activities
- Experience in performing laboratory maintenance activities
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and salary requirements (in Microsoft Word or PDF format) to: FEapply@cdcfoundation.org. Please put 'Entomologist or Biologist - 941' in the email subject line. Incomplete packages will not be considered. Hard copies, calls, faxes, personally delivered resumes or resumes sent through any other source other than directly to the FEapply@cdcfoundation.org email address will not be accepted. Resumes will be accepted through September 15, 2017.
When applying at the above mentioned email address, the auto-reply message will contain a Pre-Offer Voluntary Self-Identification Form. In an effort to comply with requirements regarding government recordkeeping, reporting, and other legal obligations, which may apply, we invite you to complete this applicant data survey. Although this information is voluntary we hope you choose to complete it in order to help us fulfill our requirements. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. See further details on form.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law.
We comply with all applicable laws including E.O. 11246 and the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria in accordance with 41 C.F.R. Â§Â§ 60-300.5(a)(12) and 60-741.5(a)(7). As a federal government contractor, we take affirmative action on behalf of protected veterans.
The CDC Foundation is a smoke-free environment.
Relocation expenses are not included.