At-Risk Field Instructor- Youth Development Center
Clemson University’s Youth Learning Institute – Aiken, SC
The Youth Development Center in Aiken, SC is a program through Clemson University’s Youth Learning Institute that works with at-risk youth who have been termed status offenders (status offenses are things such as truancy, behavior problems, breaking of school policies, etc.) We are located on a 400-acre camp which features canoeing, camping, low and high ropes courses and many recreation sites. The YDC provides a residential program to a maximum of 32 females at a time. The primary educational goals include: behavior modification, improve study skills, create a passion for learning, core subjects (Math, Science, English and Social Studies), recreational training, social skills training and more. Staff will have flexible work schedules, and there will be many opportunities to pick up trainings and experience that add to an instructor’s knowledge. Those with student loans will also quality for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.
- Shepherd and supervise youth as they go about their day.
- Plan and lead adventure based activities.
- Provide teaching, crisis intervention, orientation of new juveniles and serve as a treatment team member.
- Help youth with in class assignments as directed by certified teacher.
- Perform administrative duties as required, including oral or written reports, headcounts, clinic notes, etc.
- Supervise sanitation and maintenance procedures to ensure cleanliness and orderliness of the facility and general health/safety of the residents.
- Residential duties on certain nights.
- Monitors safety and security procedures for the facility.
- BA or BS in Outdoor Education, Adventure Programming, Social Work, Psychology, Youth Development or other related field is preferred
- Experience working with at-risk students preferred
- Must have patience, empathy, understanding, flexibility and high energy
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative “hands-on” methods
- Must be physically able to perform tasks required to teach outdoors
- Must be willing to work as a team with clear objectives
Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information.
Job Type: Full-time