Are you a trained scientist looking to step away from the bench, but want to stay involved with the research community? The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library & Archives seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, and enthusiastic Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data to join our team of information professionals supporting research at the forefront of cancer, neuroscience, genomics, quantitative biology, and plant biology. We are seeking a candidate that has a passionate interest in current life sciences research and experience in science communication.
The candidate will work with CSHL researchers to provide expert guidance and instruction on research data management including implementation in grant proposals, the creation and application of metadata standards, data analysis and data visualization.
The ideal applicant will become an effective asset to our research teams and improve research output at CSHL. The Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data reports to the Executive Director of the Library & Archives.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Lead the Laboratory’s Open Science and Open Access initiatives
· Create and support the campus infrastructure for findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability (FAIR) standards for scientific data
· Support rigor, reproducibility and integrity efforts
· Train and consult with researchers on research data management plans
· Investigate research practices and remain current with information resources related to data planning, use, organization, management, storage, and curation
· Provide metrics on CSHL scholarly output
· Create and maintain external and internal institutional faculty profiles such as Elements, ORCID, Google Scholar, etc.
· Serve as liaison to our research laboratories by forging relationships with faculty and researchers
· Provide services throughout the research life cycle in all 5 of CSHL’s key subject areas
· Provide expertise in utilizing databases such as PubMed, NCBI, Scopus, and Web of Science
· Participate in a new project incorporating artificial intelligence and our library
· Help facilitate science journal club program for high school students
· Supervise and mentor interns
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Advanced degree in life science, data science, or computer science
· 1-3 years’ experience working in an academic environment
· Familiarity with research and teaching information needs in the life sciences
· Must be strongly computer literate
· Knowledge of the publication process in the sciences
· Familiarity and skill with, and the ability to train others on the various platforms provided by the Library, including research information management systems, databases (PubMed, Scopus, etc.), etc.
· Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
· Excellent interpersonal, multitasking, verbal, and written communication skills
· Demonstrated strength in statistical analysis and methods
· Data visualization skills
· Knowledge of programming languages such as R, SPSS, or Python
· Familiarity with a variety of life-science topics
· Experience in machine learning
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/17929
Position Number: 00534-E
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor