Job Summary / Overview:
Our Clinical Assistant & Medical Scribes are critical members of our Generation Next Fertility (GNF) clinical team. You will have direct interaction with patients and learn the ins and outs of telemedicine and electronic medical record systems. You will have the opportunity to be deeply immersed in patient care – a prospect that can be elusive at this point in the career of most applicants. Clinical Assistants are patient advocates, working one-on-one with them to ensure that their treatment and overall experience at GNF meets their utmost satisfaction. You will be a part of our patients’ entire fertility journey: scribing consultations, coordinating finances and medications, reviewing diagnostic test results with the physicians, relaying instructions to patients, and answering their questions, among other tasks. This position will also provide the opportunity to shadow surgical procedures and rotate interdepartmentally to gain a comprehensive understanding of medical care in a private practice setting. Clinical assistants are present in the nurses’ office, finance department, laboratories, and third-party reproduction department, among many others. In addition to the clinically oriented tasks, there are administrative and executive assistant responsibilities that are critical to the operational needs of the practice. We strive to provide our clinical assistants with a holistic clinical experience to ensure that they are prepared for a career in health care. You will be surrounded by like-minded individuals who are passionate about delivering excellent patient-centered care.
Education / Certifications / Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Superb written and oral communication skills required
• Excellent computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Outlook and Excel
• Electronic medical record (EMR) experience preferred but not required
• Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings
• Must be able to handle a demanding workload
Supervisory Responsibilities: This role has no supervisory responsibility
1. Accurately and thoroughly documenting medical visits and procedures as they are being performed by the physicians, including but not limited to:
• Patient correspondence in-person, over the phone, and via email
• Patient medical history and physical exam,
• Procedures and treatments performed by physicians
• Patient education on infertility and explanations of risks and benefits
• Physician-dictated diagnoses, prescriptions and instructions for patient or family members for self-care and follow-up
• Prepare referral letters as directed by the physician
• Patient medication use teaching
2. Dictation/faxing/phone calls and clerical tasks:
• Medical Scribes are asked to prepare referral letters as directed by the physician, via dictation or summary of the medical record.
• Medical Scribes also ensure that letters are mailed or faxed on a daily basis to all physicians involved in a patient’s care, and with all copies of pertinent reports or tests attached. You may be asked to research contact information for referring physicians, coordinate referrals, prepare operative reports, make phone calls, and other clerical tasks as assigned.
• Front desk training is a must in order to assist with physicians’ clinical duties. These tasks will prepare applicants to manage upset, concerned, or confused patients, partners, medical professionals, pharmacists, and insurance agencies
3. Spotting mistakes or inconsistencies in medical documentation and checking to correct the information in order to reduce errors. (All addenda will be signed off by a physician)
• Medical Scribes ensure that all clinical data, lab or other test results, the interpretation of the results by the physician are recorded accurately in the medical record. Alert physician when chart is incomplete.
• Medical Scribes must comply with specific standards that apply to the style of medical records and to the legal and ethical requirements for preparing medical documents and for keeping patient information confidential.
4. Organizing and generating data:
• Medical Scribes collect, organize and catalog data for physician quality reporting system and other quality improvement efforts and format for submission. You will assist in developing and maintaining systems to track patient follow up and compliance.
• Medical Scribes have the opportunity throughout their employment to participate in research and literature reviews.
5. Coordinating egg donation cycles, egg donor recipient cycles, and gestational carrier cycles:
• Within the Third-Party Department, Medical Scribes will be asked to communicate with potential egg donors and ensure up-to-date bloodwork and screenings according to FDA guidelines, and help schedule appointments to update these labs.
• Medical Scribes will also be responsible for coordinating the completion of the Donor Egg Recipient Checklist for potential egg donor recipients, including infectious disease screenings, hormone levels, routine gynecological screenings, mammograms, and outside medical appointments, and schedule appointments and phone calls for patients as necessary.
• Medical Scribes will become comfortable discussing the use of donor eggs and the specific physical and character traits that are critical to a patient’s selection process.
6. Helping patients navigate insurance:
• Medical Scribes will assist our financial coordinators with patient finance inquiries by providing patients with financial consults and financial options
• Medical scribes will be responsible for assisting physicians with the finances around patient medications as well as all infertility treatments
• Medical scribes will advocate for patients care by submitting prior authorizations for medications and infertility treatments
• Medical scribes have the opportunity to engage in personalized patient care by empowering patients through education of financial responsibilities
7. Assisting embryologists and andrologists in our state-of-the-art laboratories:
8. Observing and possibly assisting with fertility procedures including oocyte retrievals, embryo transfers, intra-uterine inseminations, saline sonograms, endometrial biopsies and hysteroscopies
9. Opportunities to participate in scientific research will also likely be available.
1. Language Skills – The ability to write routine reports and correspondences proficiently and flawlessly are required. Must be able to listen to complex medical information and summarize in a clear, complete, and concise fashion. Excellent English composition skills required to generate professional, polished writing at a high rate of production.
2. Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic procedures, pharmacology, and treatment assessments to the extent required to understand and accurately transcribe dictated reports. Much of this will be learned on the job. Translate medical abbreviations into their expanded forms.
3. Computer Skills – Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook in order to prepare correspondences, medical reports, and other documents.
**Must be able to commit 2 years or more to the Practice**
Generation Next Fertility’s Mission: A state-of-the-art boutique medical fertility practice for women focused on compassionate, highly individualized care. Starting with the first patient interaction an exemplary team delivers superb service highlighted by extraordinary access to the practice’s sensitive, caring and well-trained physicians. Medical care is complemented by integrative fertility treatments such as natural cycle and mild stimulation IVF protocols, and acupuncture.
Please note: this is a full-time position. Please do not apply if you are only looking for a summer job.