The Athletic Trainer evaluates and treats patients following athletic injuries. He/she also assumes administrative duties as delegated by the department manager. The Athletic Trainer evaluates on-field, on-court injuries and treats sports injuries making referrals as appropriate. In the clinic setting the incumbent functions as Physical Therapist Aide.
· Graduation from an accredited BS degree program in Athletic Training
· Current ATC licensure in the state of Illinois
Essential Functions (Responsibilities/Accountabilities):
- Educates patients, athletes coaches and the public on proper prevention and education of athletic injuries.
- Provides assistance to the coaching staff in the development of implementation of conditioning programs.
- Selection and maintenance of athletic training equipment and supplies.
- Coordination with a team physician to provide: pre-competition physical exam and health history updates, game coverage or phone access to a physician or paramedic, follow up injury care, reconditioning programs, and assistance on all matters pertaining to the health and well-being of athletes.
- Provides on-site injury care and evaluation as well as appropriate transportation, follow up treatment and rehabilitation as necessary for all injuries sustained by athletes in the program.
- With a physician, determine when an athlete may safely return to full participation post-injury.
- Communicates pertinent patient information to the attending physician.
- Provides quality care in compliance with the APTA Code of Ethics and the department’s guidelines.
- Utilizes opportunities during the delivery of treatments to teach and reinforce teaching to the patient, family members, coaches and others.
- Observes patient confidentiality.
The responsibilities listed above are not all-inclusive; other activities may be required in support of the hospital’s goals and objectives.