The intern will work alongside the Genomics and Newborn Screening Quality Coordinator and other program staff to support educational efforts around newborn screening and birth defects prevention. The primary responsibility of this internship is to educate Indiana’s healthcare providers, birthing facilities, midwives, and the general public about genetics, genetic disorders, newborn screening, birth defects, and other appropriate topics relating to the work of Genomics & Newborn Screening. The intern will be responsible for the following:
- Compiling and tracking all educational materials available to Genomics & Newborn Screening stakeholders.
- Developing educational materials for the public about newborn screening and birth defects prevention.
- Following all Department of Health procedures for approval, creation, and distribution of educational materials.
- Creating partnerships with stakeholders, birthing facilities, OBGYN offices etc., to which educational materials will be distributed.
- Providing content to the Genomics & Newborn Screening website.
- Creating training content for hospital staff, pediatricians, primary care providers, geneticists, and genetic counselors about the importance of newborn screening and birth defect prevention.
- Updating the Birthing Facility Toolkit for Newborn Screening
- Completing additional tasks as assigned.