- Bachelor’s degree in physical education, exercise science, kinesiology, health education, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least two years of experience in group fitness instruction and program management.
- Experience in teaching multiple group fitness formats such as Barre, Boot Camp, BOSU, Circuit, Cycling, HIIT, Kickboxing, Les Mills™, Low Impact, Mat Pilates, Senior Classes, Step, Strength, TRX, Yoga, and/or Zumba/Dance.
- Current group exercise certification from a nationally recognized entity such as the American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Exercise Trainers Association (NETA), Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), Interactive Fitness Trainers of America (IFTA), or Les Mills™.
- Organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Superior client relations and communication skills.
- Must have practical fitness skills.
- Current CPR and AED course completion card.
- Tech savvy, proficient in MS Office
- Ability to work weekends, early morning and evening hours.
- Recruit, audition, interview, assess, mentor, motivate, and schedule group fitness class instructors and prepare them for certification as needed.
- Work with community clients to establish class formats and schedules, securing instructors, establishing, implementing, and maintaining instructor policies.
- Provide daily supervision and administration of group fitness for community clients.
- Establish and maintain a service-oriented relationship with community client contacts.
- Work closely with the Communications Director to understand and support the marketing strategy including social media, content, and engagement.
- Conduct performance evaluations/class audits of instructors on a regular basis.
- Ensure instructors educate class participants on correct form and provide a variety of challenging and entertaining group fitness classes.
- Track and evaluate class participation and provide management with monthly performance reports.
- Develop, update, maintain and implement an exciting, well-rounded group fitness class schedule.
- Ensure coverage of all group fitness classes and be able to step in when necessary.
- Effectively and creatively promote classes to staff, members, and the community.
- Support and facilitate continuing education by making staff aware of opportunities, as well as promoting certifications and specialty certifications to help instructors grow and develop.
- Regularly interact with coworkers and members to obtain, assess, and address information on needs, expectations and levels of satisfaction.
- Remain current on group exercise trends.
- Respond to member requests, suggestions and concerns in a positive and timely manner.
- Oversee the maintenance of group fitness equipment and inventory of supplies and communicate any needs to the Fitness Center Manager.
- Other projects and duties as needed or assigned.
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR FITNESS AND SPORT
The National Institute for Fitness and Sport is dedicated to enhancing human health, physical fitness and athletic performance through research, education and service for people of all ages and abilities. The NIFS mission is carried out through a variety of departments, including Athletic Performance, Corporate Fitness Management, Educational Services, Fitness Center and Youth Development.