Research Assistant || Center for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research
Performs research experiments and clinical studies in accordance with provisions of the approved protocol; maintains records of experiments and prepares laboratory reports; assists in analyzing data and preparing publications.
Schedule: Full time, Benefits Eligible
Abigail Wexner Research Institute
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
- Performs research experiments independently or semi-independently in accordance with protocols approved by the principal investigator. Such experiments may involve the use of laboratory animals or human subjects any may require evening and/or weekend duties.
- Prepares and tests substrate, conducts assays, and prepares tissue cultures for use in research studies, as applicable. Collects blood, urine, and other samples as needed. Such activities may be performed independently and may require evening and weekend hours.
- Ensures accuracy of laboratory analytical procedures as required by specific research projects.
- Collects and controls experimental data and patient information; and maintains accurate daily logs of experiments including methods, results, and conclusions.
- Interprets the results of data analyses with input from the principal investigator.
- Assists the principal investigator in the preparation of scientific publications and grant proposals.
- Make recommendations about refinement and/or replacement of laboratory analytical procedures. Implements such refinements or new procedures with input from the principal investigator.
- Orders supplies needed to conduct research; maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; and assures that research equipment is in good working order.
- Collaborates in the preparation of research budgets, and monitors expenditure of funds to assure that studies are conducted within budgetary constraints.
- Instructs other laboratory workers and students in standard methods, practices, procedures, and equipment operations.
- Maintains a clean working area and performs general laboratory maintenance. Adheres to proper safety techniques and procedures.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of science from an accredited college.
- Six months to two years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Coursework in anatomy, physiology, statistics, relevant research methods and radiation desirable.
Minimum Physical Requirement:
Percent of time spent on:
50% Preparing test substrates, conducting assays, preparing cultures
25% Interpreting results of data analyses with PI
11% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
10% Ordering supplies
02% Preparation of budget
02% Instructing other lab personnel
Minimum physical requirements:
100% Kneeling / reaching
100% Finger dexterity
100% Talking / hearing / seeing
33% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.