Northwest Special Recreation Association (NWSRA) enriches the lives of children and adults with disabilities as a partnership of 17 Park Districts located within the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
NWSRA provides outstanding recreation opportunities for people with disabilities within our member Park Districts through weekly programs, adult day programs (PURSUIT), special events, summer day camps and inclusion in Park District programs. NWSRA is a park district that serves people with disabilities.
Many individuals with disabilities choose to participate in NWSRA’s member Park District’s programs with their typically developing peers. NWSRA assists these individuals by providing inclusion support services to our Park Districts and families.
Working with NWSRA participants within the inclusion department includes being an advocate for each individual, providing activity adaptation while emphasizing their abilities. You may work on a 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 ratio based on individual needs.
Take a look at what we do!
ABOUT THE JOB
Becoming an Inclusion Aide with NWSRA and our member Park Districts is a great way to build communication skills, learn new jobs functions, and inspire participants to grow and have fun.
You will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Supervise and encourage individuals with disabilities in participating in recreation programs within a Park District setting.
- Ensure the safety, behavior management and involvement of participants in activities.
- Promote good relations with participants, parents, coworkers, park district employees and community contacts.
- Act as an advocate for the participants, provide disability awareness information, and emphasize the individual’s abilities and similarities while de-emphasizing the difference.
- Attend all orientations, meetings, and trainings required by NWSRA and the assigned park district.
- Other duties as needed.
WHAT YOU NEED
- At least 16 years of age.
- Have an interest or experience working with children with disabilities.
- Demonstrate dependability, promptness, flexibility, and punctuality.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm in recreation programming and have the ability to engage in activities requiring physical exertion.
- Able to work independently.
- No experience is necessary, but a desire to learn and be a team player is required.
NWSRA aspires to create the most engaging experience for the individuals who participate in our programs. We are looking for applicants who want to inspire others, have fun while working hard and are motivated to improve themselves. If all this interests you, we want you to join our family, Apply Now!
All positions are part-time and work schedules may range from a minimum of 1 hour per week up to 25 hours per week. Scheduling is assigned at the beginning of each program season, yet hours are flexible and can be adjusted per season. Reliable transportation is required to ensure attendance at all scheduled programs. When committing to work in a program you must be able to work all program dates for the entire season.
NWSRA provides over 2,000 recreational programs annually, many emphasizing healthy living, fitness, imagination, community involvement and increasing life skills. NWSRA works with member Park Districts to provide inclusive, accessible programs so our participants can Celebrate Their Lives.