The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate position to support research projects that aim to increase the understanding of cartilage and musculoskeletal tissue repair and regeneration by studying the cellular and molecular pathways involved in injury and repair under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI) – Constance Chu, M.D. This project will primarily involve working with various tissue culture cell lines and primary cells, as well as human and animal blood, tissue, and body fluid (SF, Plasma and Serum).
Work involves surgical procedures, cell culture, molecular biology, and tissue processing for histological investigations. The work will use state of the art technology including biomarker discovery, multiplex ELISA assays and several kinds of microscopy, including but not limited to confocal microscopy. The successful candidate will be able to perform and present statistical analysis. The position also includes lab management tasks, such as ordering supplies, maintaining lab records, and adhering to safety regulations.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), Exempt (Salary-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Design, plan, and perform experiments based on knowledge of scientific theory in support of the PI’s research projects;
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes;
- General lab maintenance including maintaining lab stock, managing chemical inventory and safety records, and providing general lab support as needed;
- Serve as a lead and train new staff or students, including oversight and instruction on techniques as well as consultation on project work;
- Serve as technical resource for other research staff;
- Interpret and analyze the results;
- Make recommendations on plan design and/or research direction to PI;
- Contribute to the preparations of papers for publication, especially in the results section;
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research;
- Present findings to lab work group;
- Occasional travel to different worksites.
Education: Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Biology or in a related field.
License: Valid Driver License is required.
- Required: 1-2 years of related experience, including previous experience with proteomic analysis, cell culture, molecular biology, human and animal blood and tissue processing;
- Desired: 2+ years of related experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Familiarity with surgical procedures and proven manual dexterity to perform surgeries;
- Knowledge of microscopy, ELISA, PCR, ELISA, histology and cell culture;
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education and/or experience;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Strong computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs;
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment skills;
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance;
- Ability to work independently and proactively with limited supervision;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Familiarity with preparing results for publication desired;
- Ability to multitask and be flexible about changing priorities.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, manual dexterity, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to a wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents. Occasionally travel to different work sites.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com
For more information, or to apply now, you must click the Apply button on this posting and be redirected to our external application. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.