Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. Learn about the energetic, creative people working to ensure every kid has the chance to play—every day.
As a Program and Leagues Specialist you will implement Playworks consultative play-based program (TeamUp) and support the development and implementation of Playworks afterschool non- competitive, developmental sports leagues.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Program Specialist on the Playworks Indiana Program Team, you will implement Playworks consultative play-based program (TeamUp) at up to two schools and support the development and implementation of Playworks afterschool non- competitive, developmental sports leagues throughout Indianapolis. This position requires approximately 50% school-based work and 50% office-based work and requires frequent travel throughout the city.
Note: Playworks Indiana currently has two Program Specialist positions available. These roles are similar but are on different internal teams. If you are interested in both positions, you can apply for one and note that you are also interested in the second position.
School-Based Program Implementation, Playworks TeamUp (50%)
- Plan and implement a consultative play-based program (TeamUp) at two public elementary schools.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and volunteers
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, monthly schedules, meeting agendas, notes and data.
- Plan and implement the learning units and recess staff trainings for program components.
- Deliver onsite coaching, consultation, and modeling to school personnel the implementation of the following components.
- Recess – with School Personnel create and coach recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive playground and be a significant presence on the playground by organizing and playing large games with 20+ students as well as role modeling positive behavior.
- Student leadership program – with School Personnel organize a “Junior Coach” student leadership program by facilitating trainings as well as coaching recess staff to supervise and manage Junior Coaches during recess.
- Instructional classes – lead instructional classes with elementary grade levels students and their teacher in skills building, cooperative games, and activities to increase awareness of rules, boundaries, skills utilized and cultural expectations at recess.
Afterschool Development League Development and Implementation (50%)
In partnership with the Indiana Sports Corp, Playworks is investing time and resources in enhancing our existing developmental sports leagues. This role will be responsible not only for implementation but for helping to develop and scale the model for the future.
- Manage the Playworks Indiana League program including participant and volunteer recruitment, curriculum, logistics, evaluation, etc.
- Work in partnership with Playworks Coach Program Manager to support Coaches in their implementation of leagues. Provide Coach training, quality monitoring and participant/parent support.
- Liaison with League partners (Indiana Sports Corp, etc)
This is a new position at Playworks and as such you will have the opportunity to help the organization build a successful, strategic league program in partnership with many organizations and schools across the city.
If you’re a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we’re providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require the ability to make connections and sustain multiple relationships while multi-tasking other important projects
- The strongest candidate will be a confident leader with the ability self-motivate as well as work collaboratively with multiple teams internally and externally
- You will be successful if you can own projects, drive initiatives, and be a communicative team player
Required Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading groups of children of all sizes with the ability to engage and inspire youth
- Experience facilitating league sport play
- Motivated self-starter with clear and open communication skills
- Humorous and playful with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem-solving tools
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail and multitasking
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Knowledge of computer and internet-based programs for use in communication.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to manage assorted tasks with a focus on enhancing the experience for youth during the school day
- Must have access to reliable transportation to travel locally – this position will require travel to various regional locations
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package – great benefits, a fun place to work, and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports directly to the Program Director.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and childcare spending accounts.
- Generous flexible paid time off policy with paid sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So, if you’re ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you’ve got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier and other office equipment. This position requires sufficient physical ability and mobility to stand for extended periods at times; walk on a school site in various weather conditions; to climb stairs at some sites; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist and, dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, we also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.