Do you have experience working with health care policy? Would you like your work to have statewide impact? Are you committed to the transformation of health care in the state of Washington? Would you like to work with a group of dynamic, dedicated, passionate people who are committed to that goal? If this sounds like something you would like to be part of, we want to talk to you about a career at WSHA – the Washington State Hospital Association.
WSHA has been in existence for over 80 years and continues to grow and evolve as the needs of Washington residents and our member hospitals change. We are located in beautiful downtown Seattle, surrounded by wonderful views of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains with easy access to transit, rail or parking, and we are currently recruiting for a Policy Director in our Government Affairs Department.
The Policy Director is part of the team of individuals who lead public policy analysis, advocacy, and implementation of key laws, regulations, and agency actions of material importance to the operations of Washington State hospitals. Policy Directors’ focus on driving forward the organization’s public policy goals; influencing state and federal elected bodies, elected officials and administrative agencies; and assisting hospital members in following and taking advantage of new laws. Furthermore, this position translates understanding of hospital needs to achievable policy measures. The Policy Director provides the substantive expertise and direction needed to develop the legal and policy structure in order to further our hospital members’ ability to deliver quality, cost effective care.
This Policy Director position specializes in policy and legislative work with an emphasis on issues relating to hospital operations, including, but not limited to hospital staffing, work force, systems of care and other policy areas as assigned. The Policy Director reports to the SVP, Government Affairs. A Master’s degree in Health Administration or equivalent OR Juris Doctorate degree OR experience commensurate with the requirements of the position required.
Specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Engage WSHA members in public policy and advocacy.
- Serve as lead staff on key health care issues with the state legislature and state and federal administrative agencies.
- Identify public policy opportunities or threats and create and develop proposed legislation or budget proposals in response.
- Identify opportunities for WSHA to address public policy challenges with voluntary efforts and lead this work.
- Encourage member involvement in public policy, including preparing members to testify.
- Coordinate regularly with WSHA lobbyists.
- Develop WSHA response on proposed rules and agency guidelines.
- Develop partnerships with other organizations that share WSHA interests and coordinate actions.
- Direct work of WSHA decision support staff to identify and display relevant data and information.
- Present information at legislative committees, regulatory hearings and other governmental meetings, as well as to partner organizations.
- Present and facilitate discussions with the WSHA Board and committees.
- Convene and chair WSHA sponsored work groups of hospital members, such as hospital pharmacists, financial counselors, hospital legal staff, hospital reimbursement staff and others.
- Represent WSHA at outside workgroups and committees.
- Keep members informed on WSHA advocacy efforts through phone conferences, webinars, newsletters, bulletins and other communication vehicles.
- Assist members in following important state laws, and in implementing new laws.
- Develop relationships with key agency staff, member staff and partner organizations to identify and pursue hospital member interests.
- Contribute to the development of WSHA strategic goals.
- Participate as part of the policy development team — sharing work, expertise, and resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=e90b930c-785e-43d7-a956-3b6091cf3463&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=351048&source=CC2&lang=en_US