Objective: to offer an exploratory internship to students that fosters a broad understanding of nonprofit organizations, program coordination and volunteer management, lending the opportunity to gain a better sense of what areas interest the student most as they continue to pursue their education and ultimately their career in the nonprofit sector.
Overall, Museum Experience Interns in support of the Museum Experience Department provide experiences that represent WonderLab’s core values of connecting people to their sense of wonder through initial “wow”, unexpected and surprising things, and moments of deeper understanding and discovery. We are currently accepting applications for spring 2020, summer 2020, and 2020-2021 school year.
- Assist Gallery and Volunteer departments with core visitor-oriented services.
- Serve as Floor Manager and assist visitors at exhibits, encouraging playful experimentation with hands-on science.
- Supervise daily team of gallery volunteers, present science demonstrations and activities, and address facility maintenance and safety issues.
- Work with Gallery Director to research, develop, and implement “Science on the Spot” activities that provide enjoyable learning experiences.
- Provide informal “Pocket Science” demonstrations to museum visitors. Research and develop new activities to add to the collection.
Welcome Desk Responsibilities:
- Greet visitors, answer questions about museum programs, exhibits, events, memberships and gift store.
- Provide shopping expertise and guidance in the museum gift store.
- Sell daily admissions, memberships, event tickets and gift store merchandise at front desk.
- Participate in monthly museum promotions and sales goals.
- Answer phones – answer questions and/or direct callers to appropriate sources and staff within the museum.
- Provide occasional administrative assistance for the Marketing, Membership, Volunteer and Education Departments.
- Participate in on-going trainings for customer service, museum safety, sales and Visitor Services software use.
- Assist with stocking, organization and inventory of the gift store.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serve as host and main contact for parties and events
- Greet and work with children and parents during parties â€¨
- Educate party attendees by conducting themed science demos and activitiesâ€¨
- Research and develop new activity options for party program
- Responsible for set up, tear down, and cleanliness of birthday and events materials.
- Create decorations for events and rentals
- Assist in managing gallery floor during private events.
- Liaison between museum staff and clients, caterers, and event guests.
- Collaborate with Events and Group Visits Coordinator to coordinate event logistics.
- Required to work one private event a month and two scheduled birthday parties a month.
How to Apply
• Send an introductory email to Assistant Museum Experience Director Sarah Ericson, email@example.com
• Complete the online application: