Career in the Classroom
Student success is the mutual goal of both the Office of Career Services and School of Public Health-Bloomington faculty. Faculty have a powerful impact on the career paths, plans, and goals of their students. We recognize and appreciate the unique relationship faculty have developed with their students and welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with faculty members to help students achieve their career goals. Our services are designed to assist undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni in the following areas:
- Career Exploration and Self-Assessment
- Internship and Job Search Strategies
- Identifying Graduate/Professional Schools and Navigating the Admissions Process
- Developing and Critiquing Resumes, Curricula Vitae, and Cover Letters
- Developing and Critiquing Personal Statements and Statements of Purpose
- Interview Preparation
- Job Offer Evaluation and Negotiation
- Networking and Professionalism
Integrate Career Development Topics and Assignments into Your Curriculum
The Office of Career Services can assist faculty in the creation of career related assignments, extra credit opportunities, or classroom activities that will assist students with defining their career goals, articulate skills, and develop their job search materials. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss ways to incorporate these topics into an upcoming class.
The classroom is where students are building the marketable skills employers and graduate schools seek. Career Services can be the added resource that helps students learn how to package what they’ve learned and the skills they have built in order to successfully attain future opportunities. Please direct your students to our online resources, events, and one-on-one career advising appointments.
Handshake for Faculty
Login using your @iu.edu credentials to view the job board, recommend jobs to students, and review employers registered for upcoming career fairs.
Refer Employers and Promote Opportunities
Faculty members are often contacted by employers advertising jobs available for students or alumni. Career Services can assist with vetting and publicizing those opportunities and can connect with recruiters to assist them in finding top talent. Please forward job or internship postings to email@example.com and the position will be reviewed for posting to Handshake and promoted appropriately.
Request a Workshop or Presentation
The Office of Career Services is always happy to present on a career related topic in the classroom. Presentations could be a simple 15 minute introduction to Career Services offerings for students or a full presentation or workshop on a specific topic. We will work closely with the faculty member to meet the needs of their classroom. Click here to request a career presentation in your class.
Don’t Cancel Class Program
If a faculty member knows in advance that they will be away from campus for a business related activity such as a conference, instead of canceling class, we encourage them to consider contacting the Office of Career Services to arrange a career presentation or workshop for students.
Common presentation and workshop topics include but are not limited to:
- Professional Application Materials that Get Results (Resume (or CV), Cover Letter, and References)
- I Have an Interview: Now What?!
- Preparing for and Navigating Career Fairs
- Group Interpretation of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Grad/Prof School – Is it Right for Me? How to Get In.
- Transitioning from Student to Professional
- Your Online Image: Navigating Social Media in the Job Search
- It’s All About Who You Know: The Importance of Networking
If another topic would be a better fit, we are happy to develop a presentation to meet those needs. Please allow a minimum of three weeks advanced notice for any presentation requests. Click here to schedule.