Community Health & Human Services

Do you want to provide education, policy development, or administration of programs that promote healthy communities? Perhaps you are interested in health and safety in the workplace, or maybe you want to focus on working with youth and families.

Examine Your Interests

The Community Health & Human Services group will help you learn more about potential career paths in these fields. Career preparation in this community can lead to employment opportunities with government agencies, non-profit organizations, or for-profit corporations.

Key Skills

Background in social sciences, needs assessment, evaluation, programming, administration, policy or protocol development, problem solving, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, grant writing, and experience in community or workplace settings with diverse populations.

Notable Employers

AccessAbilities, Inc • AmeriCorps • Arconic • Boys and Girls Club • Centerstone • Central Indiana First Steps Cornerstone Autism Center • Damar Services, Inc. • Franciscan Health • Indiana State Department of Health Kansas Health Institute • Little Star ABA Therapy • Make a Wish Foundation • Marion County Public Health Department • Safety Resources, Inc. • Tangram Incorporated

Common Majors

Planning a career in Community Health & Human Services? Explore your options!

  • I want to teach people about behaviors that promote wellness.
    Consider becoming a health educator and community health worker. They devise programs to improve the health of individuals and communities. Community health workers collect data and discuss health concerns with members of specific populations or communities. They work in a variety of settings including hospitals, nonprofit organizations, government, clinics, businesses, and universities. Health educators need a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Many employers require the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credential. The level of education for community health workers varies depending on the job and training provided.
  • I want to plan, coordinate, and lead health services and/or medical care.
    Consider becoming a public health administrators and health service manager. They may work in hospitals, healthcare networks, and public health systems. Most individuals working in this field have a master’s degree and have sought out practical experience in the field. They may manage an entire facility or a specific department within an organization in accordance with healthcare laws and regulations.
  • I want to help family members understand and overcome challenges with their family dynamics.
    Consider becoming a marriage & family therapist. They may work with couples, children, or families. Therapists work in a variety of settings, such as private practice and mental health centers.  Marriage and family therapists are required to have a master’s degree and a license to practice. Students interested in this career path may earn bachelor’s degrees in related fields such as human development and family studies or youth development prior to entering graduate school.
  • I want to provide treatment and support to help clients recover from addiction or modify problem behaviors.
    Consider becoming a substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselor. They advise people who suffer from alcoholism, drug addiction, eating disorders, mental health issues, or other mental or behavioral problems. They work in a wide variety of settings, such as mental health centers, community health centers, prisons, and private practice.  Most positions require at least a bachelor’s degree. A master’s degree is needed for substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors, and a master’s degree plus an internship is typically required to become a mental health counselor.
  • I want to help people solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives.
    Consider becoming a social worker. Clinical social workers also diagnose and treat mental, behavioral, and emotional issues. Social workers work in a variety of settings, including mental health clinics, schools, child welfare and human service agencies, hospitals, community development corporations, and private practices. While some positions are available for those with a bachelor’s degree, clinical social workers must have a master’s degree and two years of experience in a supervised clinical setting. Clinical social workers must also be licensed in the state in which they practice. Entry-level employment experience can be obtained as a social or human services assistant.
  • I want to keep workplaces safe by complying with regulations on safety, health, and the environment.
    Consider becoming a occupational health and safety specialist. They identify potential hazards and conduct tests to ensure safety protocols are met. They work in a variety of settings: manufacturing facilities, construction sites, hospitals, and offices. The job may involve significant travel. This occupation requires great attention to detail and strong communication skills. In most cases, a minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required, and many individuals have a master’s degree. Internships in safety settings and certifications are also needed.
  • I want to coordinate and supervise social service programs and community organizations.
    Consider becoming a social and community service manager. They manage workers who provide social services to the public. Social and community service managers work for nonprofit organizations, private for-profit social service companies, and government agencies.  Social and community service managers typically need at least a bachelor’s degree plus related work experience. Entry-level employment can be obtained as a social or human services assistant.


Career Resources

Career Coaching Appointments

Discuss your career goals and help you identify and prioritize action steps for your professional development. Schedule using Handshake.

Finding a Fellowship

Explanation and resources for finding fellowship opportunities.

Job Boards for Public Health and Applied Health Science

A list of URL links for finding employment related to Public Health and Applied Science.

Job Boards Kinesiology

A list of URL links for finding employment related to kinesiology.

Job Boards Recreation, Park, & Tourism

A list of URL links for finding employment related to Recreation, Park, and Tourism.

Featured Classes

SPH-K199 Careers in Helping Professions

Prof. Susan Simmons
8 weeks | Open to any IU student and is well suited to first and second year students Helping professions…

SPH-K 301 Professional and Career Preparation

Prof. Kim Ecenbarger
8 weeks | Open to students junior and senior- level Whether preparing for graduate school or pursing a full-time position,…

MSCI M300: COVID19 Vaccination Corps

Prof. Dr. Kathy Hiller
Are you interested in pursuing a healthcare-related career? Or interested in helping during the pandemic. Consider the 3-credit elective in…

SPH-K 450: Programming for Age-Associated Medical Conditions

Prof. Kathryn Palano PT, DPT
Class meets 100% Online through Asynchronous instruction This course will provide undergraduate students with an introduction to exercise prescription for…

Minor in Medical Anthropology (15 credit hours)

The Medical Anthropology minor provides a cross-cultural and evolutionary/historical perspective on health; methods training that includes ethnographic, statistical, and laboratory…

Service Hours

M Virtual through Aug. 1
T Virtual through Aug. 1
W Virtual through Aug. 1
TH Virtual through Aug. 1
F Virtual through Aug. 1